This Fort Dodge retail establishment began in 1898 as Davidson Brothers’ Store. It was first located at 526 Central Ave.
In 1900, Adolph Tuerke purchased the Davidson Brothers’ Store in Fort Dodge and renamed it. The store was doing so well that in 1902, it expanded to have a second entrance on North Sixth Street.
The store moved in September 1914 to the building which still bears its name.
When this store opened in its final location, it occupied four floors and the basement. The upper two floors were offices. The store included a tea room.
In September 1922, the store suffered a devastating fire. The fire also damaged the buildings on either side. Louis Charon was in Europe when the fire happened and received a telegram informing him of the fire when he docked in New York.
With the remodel of the store, it expanded to include the top two floors for merchandise, instead of the offices that had been there.
Today, the building contains offices and a restaurant.